Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Alexx Shorts: RoC Serpent Armor with Viper (11/14/09)


Well, this is it: I've finally decided to start reposting my old "Alexx Shorts" G.I. Joe reviews.  They're the reviews that lead to what eventually became this blog!  I'll be posting them in straight copy-and-paste format, separating them with bold dotted lines so you know where they begin and end, and then I'll post some final thoughts on what I think of the figure currently.

For those unfamiliar: I used to take random pictures here and there, but by the time the Rise of Cobra toys came out, I was getting annoying with how much people had been bashing the figures which were clearly better than the previous 25th Anniversary offerings.  I set out to show people how awesome they were, and things went from there, forming into "Alexx Shorts", named so because I thought I was going to keep to a short format with a few pictures.  I did not do that.


Yay, Techno-Vipers are back!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I found out the SNAKE armor existed somewhere around 2001 or so, when I started collecting joes again (and found Yojoe.com). I didn't know a lot about the early stuff for the 80's line, and the SNAKE armor was quite possibly the most hilarious and awesome piece they created. I was ecstatic to find out that they would be releasing it again! I gotta tell ya: if you're looking for cheesy robot action, then this does not disappoint! If you're looking for formidable mech armor, well...go buy that mech in the Avatar toyline. This here is pure "Danger Will Robinson!" style arm flailing fun!

So lets begin with the 100th some Viper that you'll be getting. Personally, I'm loving all these random Viper recolors (even if they can't agree on what they are called, since this one is a Viper Commando for some reason). This one is one of the best, though, and that's good for anyone who wants more than one of these babies (and who wouldn't?)



The colors work well; because you can't go wrong with black, red, and silver. If you don't wana put him in the armor, then he makes a great stand alone Viper for special purposes. He comes with the same load out that any of the other Vipers do, save for the weapons for the armor:


On to the main course! The armor is awesome, and everything works just as it should! 


He fits perfectly inside and the armor snaps closed to replicate the original workings.



The leg parts also fit just fine, and can slide down a bit for some great wobbly walking movement!


It's pretty funny without them too!

Anyway, the finished product is a robot fan's goldmine!





Awesome, right? Along with your sorta-poseable armor, you get some interchangeable arm weapons! Yes! You can choose from wide gun thingy, thin gun thingy, completely unprotected missile (without a launcher?), or a handy claw!




Man, that's some dangerous firepower! The armor doesn't even need that, though, 'cause robots like that have POWER.


When he grabs you with his metal claw, you can't break free, because it's made of metal, and robots are strong! (It also eats old people's medicine for fuel).


Seriously, unless you're no fun and hate happiness, there is no possible way to be disappointed with this set. Get it when you see it, because if you aren't playing with the little bot, then he'll be hilarious on any desktop or flat viewable surface. I love this thing, and I will be getting more. 


Addition, in response to a post:

Crap! I forgot to mention that! It does have that little piece to keep it together. Where the heck did I put that thing? I thought it was just there for keep it straight in the package, but then I looked on yojoe and saw that it was an original piece!


So yes, that is still there!

-------------------------------------------------------------
OH BABY, did you get any of these?  It was great, because they were Target exclusives and they went on clearance almost immediately! I went back and bought a few more, back then, and ended up customizing one with some Arashikage stickers and a terrible sword arm to make a ridiculous Ninja Armor. 

Point is: I love it, I still love it, and you should have this in some form.  Even if you just have the original - they're pretty much the same thing.  They're so cheesy and basic and fantastic.  These are still totally a buy, assuming they don't go for big bucks (and I don't see why they would).  Track some down!  You won't regret it.

10 comments:

  1. Still on my "buy one or two" list.

    Best RoC Neo-Viper repaint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As well it should be! And yeah, that's still one of my favorite Vipers - and there were a lot to choose from! I think this one might be tied with the bronze one from the K-Mart pack.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Now we just have to wait for Jonesy to see if he can keep up his track record of getting every one of my references.

      Delete
  3. I'm actually surprised this was actually a new mold. It really looks like a rerelease of the original. Makes me wonder this toys origin. 25tn anniversary leftover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm guessing. The movie seemed to have ended the 25th stuff real quick, and they were doing big double packs of vintage vehicles before they made the switch. I'm thinking they had more plans already set in motion for stuff like this, and they became the Target exclusives.

      Delete
  4. THAT WAS ACTUALLY PART OF THE SUIT!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leg thingy? Yeah, it was meant to hold the legs on if you don't have a figure inside. Took me by surprise too, 'cause they don't look like anything!

      Delete
  5. Did you paint one of them red so it could go 3x faster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, it's funny you mention that when I just saw this the other day:

      http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/gundam/images/6/6d/Ball-zeong-manga.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110123063508

      Delete